Noisy office chairs can be very annoying to both the user and anyone else in the room. These chairs are always ready to announce any movement you make or every time you get up to everyone in the office and can make you feel very uncomfortable in office spaces that are designed to be quiet and peaceful.
Luckily, there are quite a few ways to solve this common issue. In this guide, we are going to take a look at the best ways how to fix a squeaky office chair so you will no longer be disturbing others while you work.
Table of Contents
Why is My Office Chair Squeaky?
Before we dive in and share all the best fixes for this common issue, you should find out what is causing the noise. Here is a quick look at the top reasons why office chairs squeak when you move in them.
Your chair consists of lots of parts that are fixed together with bolts and nuts. If nuts and bolts loosen, it allows these loose parts to move when pressure is applied to the chair and results in annoying sounds.
Weak Joints or Parts
Cheap office chairs can be a good budget option for setting up your home office quickly. But these chairs are often made from thinner or weaker materials. These weak joints can produce squeaking noises when they are bent in and out of place.
Lubricant is Required
The swiveling components of office chairs need to be lubricated from time to time to ensure smooth movement. If the lubricant wears down, you will notice squeaking sounds when you swivel in your chair or when you move it around on the office floor.
Office chairs and cheaper gaming chairs often squeak when certain components like the gas cylinder, caster, or back support become all worn out. If you hear these noises coming from your gas lift mechanism then it is best to order a replacement because your office chair will start to sink when you sit on it.
The floor isn’t Appropriate
You may also hear squeaking sounds if the floor your office chair is positioned on is too smooth. These squeaky noises are not just annoying, they can be a sign of danger because the chair can easily slip out from underneath you. A good chair mat should solve this issue for you in no time at all and will help keep your chair sturdy.
How to Fix a Squeaky Office Chair
There are many factors that can cause noise in your office chair. Now that we have discussed these different issues, it is time to start looking at some solutions that can eliminate the problem. Here is a quick look at the best ways to eliminate annoying squeaks.
Tighten Loose Bolts and Nuts to Eliminate Chair Noise
There are quite a few reasons the bolts and nuts might have loosened up like the following;
- You might not have tightened them firmly enough when the ergonomic office chair was assembled and they have loosened more over time.
- The loose screws might have gotten loose under constant pressure. This can happen when you are shifting in your cushioned gaming chair a lot, when you are frequently moving around or if the chair weight capacity doesn’t suit your body weight.
- Temperature changes can cause the metal to contract and expand. Over time, this and lots of movement can make your bolts loosen up.
Here is a quick step-by-step guide on how to tighten bolts and nuts
- First, turn the durable gaming chair upside down.
- Next, grab a flathead screwdriver, compatible wrench, or a hex key (depending on the type of bolts or nuts you have) some WD40, and some light machine oil or grease.
- Now remove all bolts
- Remove all bolts and nuts and clean them properly with WD40.
- Rub some oil over the chair bolts.
- Now replace them and secure them tightly using the suitable tool.
Replace or Grease Weak Joints
Modern office chairs often contain plenty of parts with loose joints that are weak. To identify this issue, you should ask someone to sit on the chair and move the chair around while you check for weak areas.
Here is a quick look at the steps for replacing or repairing weak joints.
- You can fix weak joints by greasing these components or by replacing them.
- Apply WD40 to all joints and connections you notice on the durable office chair.
- You can also add some grease or lubricant to these areas.
- If this doesn’t work then you should look for a replacement part that is made from higher-quality materials.
Fix Broken Casters or Wheels
The squeaky sounds coming from your office chair wheels or casters can be caused by various factors. These sounds often result from the following issues.
- Objects lodged inside the caster wheel
- The thread is worn
- The thread has c cracks and chips
- The lamination or silicone lubricant on the casters has worn down
These noises will also become much louder if your chair is on a harder floor and can sound louder when a heavier person sits on the desk chair.
Here is how to fix noisy casters or wheels.
- Start by clipping your squeaky ergonomic chair upside down
- Check the casters and remove anything that might be lodged inside the caster.
- If debris in the caster isn’t the issue then proceed to remove the casters using a screwdriver.
- Next, treat the standard wheels with WD40 spray and add a thin coat of lubricating spray.
- Return the casters and sit down to test if the annoying noise is gone.
- If the noise doesn’t stop then you should consider replacing your office chair casters with some new ones. There are a variety of wheel types available these days and some are made from a rubber material that is designed to be quieter.
Lubricate or Replace The Screws
The noises you hear might be sourced from damaged screws in your office chair. Look for old, worn-down screws and replace them with new ones. Remember to add a little bit of lubricant to each new screw before securing it to the chair.
Check the Seat Tilt Mechanism
If the chair squeaks when you sit back in the chair, the synchro-tilt mechanism and seat tension turn-knob might be to blame. To fix this part of your squeaky computer chair, you can try the following steps;
- Remove the seat and open the turn knob housing.
- Spray lubricant onto the tilt mechanism and seat tension spring.
- Reposition the seat in its original position.
- If the noise continues, you can consider replacing the tilt mechanism.
Repair or Lubricate the Gas Lift
If the swivel chair only produces a noise when you sit down or alter the seat height then the gas lift is likely to blame. Before you replace the gas lift, you should try to lubricate it. If you don’t know how to lubricate a pneumatic cylinder then you should ask a professional.
Doing so yourself could cause damage to your beloved chair. Here is a quick look at the steps for lubricating these chair mechanisms.
- Open the piston.
- Clean this piston with some DW40 silicone spray.
- Next, apply some grease or oil to the piston.
- Put the cylinder back.
It is also best to watch YouTube videos or ask a professional if you want to replace your chair’s gas cylinder so you won’t damage your beautiful office chair seat.
Now that you know how to fix a squeaky office chair, you can solve this annoying issue for yourself as well as other colleagues in your office. And if none of these tips managed to solve the issue then it might be better to upgrade to a more suitable office chair for your body type.
On Chairs Wiki, you can search for and find all sorts of great chairs for your office or gaming room. Our reviews are specially developed to help you locate the best chairs at the best possible prices.