Getting surgery is pretty scary but the worst parts about these medical interventions are usually the recovery period that follows afterward. Surgeries are painful and pain killers never seem to fully diminish the pain that you feel after these procedures. It can take weeks, even months, to fully recover from surgery, and living with this pain and trying to stay comfortable despite the pain can be a nightmare.
If you have a pending surgery then one of the best things you can do for your health is to invest in the best recliner for sleeping after surgery.
The main reason these chairs are ideal for sleeping after surgery is that your muscles tense up when you sleep. When it is time to get back up again, these muscles have gone cold and it can become extremely painful to move again. Getting up from the bed is one of the biggest challenges you will face after your surgery.
With a recliner, you can set your chair to an ideal position so you won’t feel as much pain, you can keep a foot alleviated to reduce swelling and you can get up after your nap much easier because the chair does all the lifting for you.
What to Look For In a Post-Surgery Recliner
If you had surgeries before then you likely already know what it feels like to recover from these interventions. You probably also have a good idea of the type of chair you need because you know what type of pain you can expect.
Those who haven’t had surgeries before are not quite as likely to understand the discomfort and pain associated with these treatments. It is also hard to find out what type of features to look for when you never bought a recliner before.
Here is a quick look at a few features to keep in mind when you are shopping for a good sofa to ease your recovery.
Consider the Type of Procedure You Will Have
All surgeries are painful but some do affect your mobility a lot more than others.
Surgeries in your legs, hips or abdominal region can make it very hard to get in and out of chairs or beds or to rise after sleeping.
With back and spinal surgeries, you need to be especially careful when moving around and it can be very tough to take naps if the chair doesn’t lend the needed support.
For painful or extreme surgeries that affect your mobility, it is better to invest in a chair with more advanced features like lifting and temperature control.
For lighter surgeries, a simpler recliner will be sufficient for helping you recover.
Consider the Reclining Depth
Some recliners only recline partially while others can fully recline up to almost 180 degrees. Recliners with partial recline function are perfect for office use but for napping at home, you might want to consider something with a full recline angle so you can lie down flat for a nap.
Consider the Footrest
While considering the reclining depth, you should also consider the footrest. It is good to put up your feet after surgeries because lifting your feet promotes healthy blood circulation throughout your body. Alleviating your feet to the same height as your heart is especially handy if you had leg or foot surgeries and want to reduce some of the swellings in these regions.
The right recliner chair will have proper footrests so you can get your legs
Consider a Power Lift Recliner
Power lift recliners are the best for people with extreme surgeries, seniors, or for those with mobility problems. One of the most painful parts of surgeries is to get up from the bed or sofa after sitting down. When you sit down for a while or sleep, your muscles become cold. When you rise from the bed or chair, these injured muscles become very painful to move and the wounds themselves are also stretched which causes pain.
Power lift mechanisms in chairs are ideal for back surgeries, abdominal surgeries, and leg surgeries because they help you rise out of the chair or ease into the chair. These chairs can be lifted or lowered by remote control. If you want to sit down, you lift the chair, ease into it and use the remote controller to slowly ease down into a sitting position.
From that point, you can recline back into a comfortable sleeping position.
If you want to get up after a nap, you can snap the recliner back to lift from the sleeping position into a sitting position after which you can use the remote controller to rise from the chair and gently slide off the edge so you can stand up.
Some recliners are designed with lumbar heat functions. Heat therapy is very good for reducing pain and for promoting healing. These chairs are ideal for those with back problems and for those who are recovering from spinal surgeries or even abdominal surgeries. The chair will keep your back nice and warm while you sit in it. The heat naturally reduces pain and keeps your muscles from getting cold.
Heat function chairs are especially handy for those who got metal screws or spinal prosthetics during the surgery. These metal plates can get very cold inside your back and can cause terrible pain. When the chair warms up your back, the plates also warm up a bit and no longer cause extreme pain.
Vibrating massage functions are also terrific for soothing pain in your back, legs, or shoulders after surgeries. The vibrating sensations gently loosen your muscles which enhances your mobility while reducing pain.
It is however important to consult with your doctor or your physiotherapist before using vibration functions. The vibration motions might not be suitable for all types of surgeries. In surgeries such as knee replacements, the vibrations might impair the bone structure’s ability to adhere to the new metal prosthetics or these vibration motions can cause screws to move around inside your tissues which can cause terrible pain.
Massage chairs are however superb for soothing torn muscles and these can be very handy features to use to soothe your body after your wounds have healed.
Cushioning is a very important feature to look for in a post-surgery recliner. It is pretty painful to lie down on a bed or chair that is too firm when you have large wounds that are still healing. The recliner you choose should have lots of cushioning or padding. It should be firm enough to offer good posture support yet not too hard.
Charis with thin cushioning on the armrests, for example, won’t help soothe pain if you had elbow surgery. A chair with thickly padded armrests can be much more soothing.
The Best Recliner for Sleeping After Surgery to Get Now
There are quite a few different types of recliners out there. Some recliners are much more advanced than others. In this guide, we are going to take a peek at a few different types so you can find one that suits your post-surgery needs to perfection. Here is a quick look at the best chairs to get now.
The recliner looks beautiful with its smooth edges and rounded handlebars. It is available in four different colors including PU leather textiles that are easy to wipe clean. The chair is a bit bulky which makes it impractical for small rooms or apartments but it will provide a homey and cozy feel in your home.
This recliner is a bit pricey compared to some of the others on our list but it is worth every extra penny when you consider all of its glorious features. You can dramatically reduce the amount of pain you feel by just sitting in this chair because it is designed with a built-in heat function in the lumbar region.
The warmth will soothe away pains and aches you might feel in your back. The chair also has 8 massage points and will gently massage four different parts of your body with gentle vibration motions. You can adjust the vibration intensity with a remote controller that is included with the chair.
It is an ideal recliner for seniors or post-surgery use because the chair has a metal frame and motor with a lift function.
To get in and out of the chair without straining your body, you can simply lift the chair up using the remote.
The remote controller can then be used to ease you back into the chair.
Taking a nap in this recliner is very soothing because the chair has lots of thick padding and it has two recline positions of up to 150 degrees. You can lay back, kick out the footrest to lift your feet, and enjoy soothing naps in a sitting position that is ideal for promoting healthy blood circulation.
- Dimensions – 35 x 29 x 42 Inches
- Weight Limit – 330 Pounds
- Color – Blue, black, brown, or grey
- Materials – Get it in fabric or PU leather upholstery with a solid metal frame
- Footrests – Kick out footrest with massage points
- Recline positions – 150 Degrees (4 positions)
- Massage option – 4 part massage system with 8 massage points and vibration intensity control
- Heating function – Lumbar heating
- Other features – Side pockets, front pockets, and cup holders
- The chair looks very stylish
- It has a massage function that targets 4 parts of your body with 8 points of massage
- You can adjust the vibration intensity of the chair
- The chair has a motor and can lift up so you can easily get out of it
- The chair offers adjustable lumbar heating that is excellent for promoting healing
- The side pockets and front pockets are ideal for storing loose items
- It is very comfortable to sit in
- The 330-pound weight limit is ideal for larger people
- You can get it in PU leather or textile fabric
- The footrest is short
- It requires electricity to function
- The chair is heavy and bulky
- It is pricey compared to some of the other recliners on our list
This chair by Irene House is one of the best recliners to sit in after surgery because it has a lift function that eases you into the chair or out of the chair so you won’t have to overstretch those damaged muscles or risk the chances of your wounds opening up by being too rough.
The chair is beautifully crafted with its rounded edges and smooth handlebars. It is available in a variety of colors and you can get it in PU leather or in textile upholstery. It comes with accessories such as sofa liners to protect your chair from stains and a loose kidney pillow that you can reposition for maximum comfort.
The chair is very heavy at 125.7 pounds which means you will have a tough time moving it around once positioned. But with all its glorious features and a weight capacity of 300 pounds, the weight of the chair is a very small issue.
Sitting in this recliner is very comfortable because the seat and back region are layered in a thick high-density sponge that will help you maintain good posture. The chair can recline to any position that feels comfortable up to almost 180 degrees which makes it an ideal spot to sleep in while you recover.
The main reason we recommend this chair for post-surgical recovery is its lift function. The recliner is designed with a metal frame and motor. You can use the remote to lift and tilt the chair forward so you can easily slide in and out of the chair with minimal strain on your body.
This lifting action can help you reduce the amount of pain you feel a great deal.
- Weight – 125.7 Pounds
- Dimensions – 34.5 x 38.5 x 43.7 Inches
- Weight Limit – 300 Pounds
- Color – Blue, brown, brown leather, grey, grey leather, light brown, and sage
- Materials – Textile material or PU leather with metal frame
- Seat height – 20 Inches
- Seat depth – 22 Inches
- Seat width – 21 Inches
- Chair back height – 26 Inches
- Foot rests – Kick out footrest
- Recline positions – Infinite positions up to almost 180 degrees
- Other features – Side pockets, a loose pillow and a lift function are included
- The sofa has lift motor to help get you on your feet with ease
- The motor lifts by using the remote controller
- The Sofa is very stylish and there are lots of colors to choose from
- You can get it in textile or PU leather upholstery
- It has a large 300-pound weight capacity
- You get a loose kidney pillow
- The chair reclines to any position up to almost 180 degrees
- Lots of padding offers a firm yet comfortable sitting or sleeping position
- A side pocket allows you to store the remote and other accessories
- The footrest is nice and tall
- The chair is very heavy
- You need to connect it to power to get the motor to work
- It is a bit bulky for small apartments or rooms
This chair by Dorel Living is a pretty good pick for post-surgery recovery. It is also one of the best affordable office chairs for back pain because it looks stylish enough to use in an office while allowing you to sit more comfortably in a healthier position.
The recliner is only available in beige color and it is upholstered with microfiber fabric that is soft and warm to the touch.
At its base, you will notice four solid wood feet in dark color. At just 47 pounds, the chair is light enough to move around with ease.
The chair has lots of thick padding so you can sit comfortably and the armrests also offer lots of padding so you can rest your arms and be more comfortable.
At 17.25 inches, the seat is nice and high so you can sit with ease despite your injuries. The chair back is also very high so you can rest your head back and take a nap.
Moreover, you can use the chair to sit upright or recline it to two different positions. It doesn’t fully recline but its reclined position is very comfy and a footrest kicks out so you can get your feet off the ground.
A deeper reclined position would have been great for sleeping but the reclining angle is still appropriate for reducing the amount of pain you feel after surgery.
A taller footrest would have also been nice so tall people can also lift their feet without feeling strained.
- Weight – 47.3 Pounds
- Dimensions – 35.75 x 31 x 38 Inches
- Color – Beige
- Materials – Microfiber and wood
- Seat height – 17.25 Inches
- Seat width – 15 Inches
- Foot rests – Single kick out footrest
- Recline positions – 3 Positions – does not fully recline
- Other features – No pockets or cup holders
- The chair looks very stylish
- The microfiber upholstery is soft and warm to the touch
- The textile fabric keeps you from feeling sweaty and doesn’t cause a chill in the winter
- The chair has a very high back which makes it ideal for tall people
- It has 3 reclining positions
- Thick padding offers a comfortable yet firm feel when you sit down
- A footrest kicks out so you can lift your legs
- The chair is made from quality materials
- The chair does not fully recline
- The beige color might be challenging to keep clean
- The upholstery cannot be wiped down for cleaning
- No massage function or lift function
- A taller footrest would have been nice
The chair is only available in black and it has PU leather upholstery that is very easy to keep clean since you can just wipe it down using a wet or damp cloth. It has a compact design and weighs just 50.91 pounds so you can move it around with ease.
The chair is very comfortable to sit in because it is stuffed with a high-density sponge and it has a solid frame. The chair’s back is nice and high and offers lots of neck and head support so you can rest properly. The two curved armrests are also padded so you can reduce tension on your neck while taking a nap.
The recliner can fully recline and it has a tall footrest that kicks out so you can lift your feet to reduce some swelling.
Side pockets or cup holders would have been a nice addition to this chair. But considering its affordable price and a large weight capacity of 275 pounds, it is still a great investment for anyone in recovery.
- Weight – 50.91 Pounds
- Dimensions – 27.17 x 34.25 x 38.58 Inches
- Weight Limit – 275 Pounds
- Color – Black
- Materials – PU Leather and high density sponge
- Seat height – 17.1 Inches
- Backrest height – 21.2 Inches
- Seat depth – 19.6 Inches
- Seat width – 25.9 Inches
- Foot rests – Single kick out footrest
- Recline positions – Reclines almost 180 degrees
- Other features – None
- The recliner looks very modern
- Pu leather is very easy to clean since you can just wipe it down using a wet cloth
- The chair back is nice and high so tall people can also take a rest
- The 275-pound weight limit is very good
- A kick-out footrest allows you to lift your feet so you can reduce swelling and pain
- The chair fully reclines to almost 180 degrees
- You can take a nap in the chair
- It is made from durable materials
- The PU leather fabric will eventually tear
- No massage or lift function
- The fabric can be chilly in the winter and might cause you to sweat in summer
- Only available in black
This recliner by Casa Andrea is a great investment for the home but it is also considered as one of the best reclining office chairs with a footrest area because it is compact enough to fit into most offices and the chair offers good aesthetics to bring your office to life.
This chair is available in a huge variety of colors and it is fully upholstered with textile fabric. On the inside, it has a strong alloy steel frame and the chair is mounted on four wooden feet.
This chair does not fully recline but its two recline positions is great for sitting more comfortably so you can take a nap.
A footrest kicks out so you can get your feet off the ground to reduce swelling or to optimize your blood circulation.
You can also store your remote controller or magazines in this chair because it has a handy side pocket that is designed to keep your accessories within reach.
The chair doesn’t have a massage function or heat function and it cannot lift but it is still great for comfortable sitting and napping after surgeries because its reclining position makes it much easier to get up after taking a rest.
- Weight – 55 Pounds
- Dimensions – 35 x 26.4 x 41.7 Inches
- Weight Limit – 300 Pounds
- Color – Beige, dark blue, dark grey, green, light blue, light grey, red, teal and yellow
- Materials – Alloy steel with upholstered linen fabric and high-density foam
- Seat height – 18 Inches
- Footrests – Single kick out footrest
- Recline positions – Two positions (does not fully recline)
- Other features – The chair has side pockets
- The chair is compact so you can easily fit it in a room
- It is available in various colors
- The 300-pound weight limit is good for bigger people
- It is made from durable materials
- The upholstery fabric is soft to the touch and won’t feel chilly
- The chair has lots of padding for comfortable seating
- Two recline positions allow you to sit very comfortably
- The chair is very affordable
- It has a high back that offers good neck support
- The padded armrests are soft and ideal for reducing shoulder and neck pain
- The side pockets are ideal for storing a magazine, phone or remote
- The chair can’t fully recline
- Textile upholstery cannot be wiped clean
- Some do feel that the arm rests are not very comfortable
- The foot rest might be short for tall people
This is a great recliner to consider if you need something cozy and functional for your living room. The recliner looks beautiful with its wide and soft armrests and its thick padded back. It is available in three different colors and the microfiber upholstery is warm to the touch so you won’t feel chilled when sitting down and to keep you from sweating.
It is a great chair for sleeping because it can fully recline to about 160 degrees with two dedicated recline positions. You can shift into the chair, sit back and recline downward into a comfortable position that promotes healthy blood circulation throughout your body. Sleeping in this chair is glorious because it has lots of thick padding and the footrest kicks out so you can lift your feet up. When your nap is over, you can gently ease your body down and get up from the chair without using as many muscles to get back up again.
The chair is a bit bulky but it isn’t ideal for big guys because it has a 200-pound weight limit. The seat is however very wide so you can sit more comfortably despite wearing additional medical accessories. It also has a high back so you can lie down your head comfortably and the soft armrests are ideal for reducing tension in your shoulders and neck.
- Weight – 75 Pounds
- Dimensions – 38 x 35 x 40 Inches
- Weight Limit – 200 Pounds
- Color – Oakwood chocolate, beige, or sage
- Materials – Microfiber fabric and wood structure
- Foot rests – Single kick out foot rest
- Recline positions – Two positions – fully reclines
- The chair has an attractive and cozy look
- It is very comfortable to sit in because it has lots of thick padding
- You can get it in three different colors
- The microfiber fabric is warm to the touch and soft on the skin
- The chair fully reclines and can be set in different positions
- The back is nice and high so you can rest your neck
- With a 200-pound weight limit, the chair is relatively strong
- The chair is light enough to move with ease
- The footrest is tall
- No massage or lift function
- No side pockets or cup holder
- Fabric upholstery cannot be wiped clean
- The 200 weight limit is not excessive
If you love the way this chair by Christopher Knight looks then you should also check out our other guide where we discuss the top 9 most eye-catching ergonomic office chairs.
This recliner is ideal for office use or for decorating your living room because the chair has such a beautiful design. It features lots of fine studded detail around the edges of the chair and its four legs are crafted from beautiful birch wood.
The chair is available in beige, grey, and navy blue colors and it is upholstered with textile fabric that is soft and warm to the touch.
This chair is very comfortable to sit in because it has thick padding in its seat and backrest. The chair doesn’t fully recline but it does tilt back and two footrests will kick out so you can put up your feet and take a break from work while in the office.
The Armstrong recliner’s back is nice and high and will offer good neck support. Its low armrests are also ideal for reducing the amount of strain you feel in your arms and shoulders while you work or while you spend time at home.
We love the quality materials that were used for manufacturing this unique piece of furniture.
The chair is nice and compact so you can easily fit it into small spaces but it doesn’t offer additional features such as cup holders, massage, or heat functions.
- Weight – 62.17 Pounds
- Dimensions – 27.5 x 34.75 x 41.25 Inches
- Color – Dark beige, dark grey, or navy blue
- Materials – Polyester textile fabric with birch wood legs
- Seat height – 19 Inches
- Seat depth – 19 Inches
- Seat width – 21 Inches
- Foot rests – Dual kick out footrest included
- Recline positions – One position – does not fully recline
- It is a stylish chair to get for interior decorating purposes
- You can get it in three different colors
- The chair has a high back that offers good neck support
- Two small foot rests kicks out in recline position
- The polyester fabric is warm to the touch and soft
- The chair has lots of padding
- The chair is compact so you can easily fit it in your home
- It is light and has peg legs so you can easily move it around
- The chair does not fully recline
- The foot rests might be a bit short for tall people
- No cup holders or pockets
- No heat, lift or massage function
Buying Guide of Recliner for Sleeping After Surgery
All of these recliners are terrific for taking a nap after surgeries because they are all very comfortable to sit in. If you have a tough time choosing the best one then perhaps this handy guide can help you decide on the right recliner to buy.
The Best for Those With Mobility Problems Or Serious Surgeries
Some surgeries are a lot more painful to recover from than others. With some conditions, your general mobility can be greatly reduced because lots of tissue damage leaves you in agony and unable to get up on your own until the muscles and damaged tissues have started healing. If you have mobility problems or are heading for serious surgery in your abdominal region or legs then you should consider a chair that can lift.
These chairs are motorized and will lift your body into a standing position or will lower you into a sitting position without using as many muscles. There are two good options on our list;
The Magic Union Power Lift chair is our top pick because it can lift you onto your feet when you get up, it can recline up to 150 degrees and it even comes with additional features like heated vibration massage actions. It also has cup holders and side pockets so you can keep everything you need close by.
But it is motorized and will lift you out of your sitting position and onto your feet. It also reclines up to almost 180 degrees and the chair includes a kidney pillow for added convenience.
The Best for Small Rooms
If you are limited on space then you might want to opt for a recliner that is more compact in design and that does not fully recline.
The Dorel Living slim recliner is an ideal solution because it looks fantastic and it has a tall back design that offers good support. The chair offers two recline positions and it has a kick-out footrest that enables you to sit comfortably.
The Rimiking home theater chair is also a good option for small areas. This chair has a slim design but it does fully recline so you can lie down almost flat on your back. The recliner has a tall back and its footrest will kick out when you lift it into recline position.
Alternatively, you can also consider the Casa Andrea Milano Recliner. This recliner is also sleek, it only reclines partially and it has additional pockets where you can store accessories.
For small offices, you should consider the recliner chair by Christopher Knight. This statement piece of furniture is compact in design and it partially reclines. It has two footrests that kick out so you can put up your feet and relax.
The Best Living Room Recliner
All of these recliners will work great in the living room. We do however feel that the recliner by ACME looks a bit cozier and resembles lounges more closely which makes it better suited for your living room. The chair also has a very wide design so you can sit comfortably and it fully reclines so you can easily take a good nap.
The best massage recliner
The Magic Union recliner is the only one on our list that has a massage function. If you have lots of tense muscles then this is the best chair to consider.
There are three good budget chairs on our list.
The Dorel living recliner, the Rimiking home recliner, and the Casa Andrea Milano recliner are all sold for under $200. Out of these three, the home theater recliner is probably the best option because it is the one that fully reclines. The other two budget options do however excel in terms of style.
We do hope that this guide helped you find a good recliner chair so you can get plenty of sleep and recover quickly after your surgery. We are sure that all of these chairs will make a huge difference in your sitting and sleeping comfort.
If you are also in the market for other quality chairs like the best gaming chairs under $100 then you should check out some of our other reviews. The top 7 best Serta office chairs – Ultimate Review is a must-see for any business owner or for anyone who is looking for comfortable seating solutions in office spaces. But there are also many other reviews to check out so you can find the right chair for every application you might have.