If you are prone to suffer from neck pain then you should look for a comfortable chair that supports your neck while you watch TV or take a nap. In this guide, we are going to help you find the best living room chair for neck pain so you can sit comfortably and upgrade the look of your interior spaces all at the same time.
The living room is one of the best places to take a seat and unwind after a long day at work. This is the spot where you can watch some TV, catch up with your family, enjoy board games or entertain friends and guests.
We all love to sit comfortably after spending many hours in uncomfortable chairs at work or after spending a lot of time on our feet. A good quality comfortable chair can make a huge difference in your sitting comfort and can also help reduce body aches such as back tension, neck pain, and foot fatigue.
What Causes Neck Pain?
There are many different things that can cause you to develop neck pain. Everyone will experience some form of neck pain at one point in their lives because the neck is such a delicate part of the body. But if you suffer from neck pain regularly then it might be time to start looking for alternative treatments or furniture pieces that will offer more neck support. Here is a quick look at the most common causes of neck pain.
Muscle strains can result from overuse when you spend many hours of the day hunched over in front of your computer or smartphone. Muscle strains can also result from sports injuries or other impact injuries like a bad fall or a vehicle accident that results in whiplash. Many also experience muscle strains in the neck from an awkward sleeping position or from using a pillow that isn’t an ideal height.
Unlike muscle strains, worn joints can be very difficult to treat and just about impossible to recover from. Worn joints usually happen as we become older but it can also result from conditions like Osteoarthritis. A good sofa, office chair, and pillow can help keep pain from worn joints to a minimum but for this type of neck pain, you will likely need to undergo surgery.
Some of the herniated disks in your spine can sometimes press down on the nerves found in your neck and throughout your back. When these nerves become compressed, it can cause a lot of pain. The best way to treat this type of pain is to maintain optimal head posture as much as you can throughout the day and to keep your head in a healthy posture position when you relax in front of the TV.
Neck injuries can result from all sorts of accidents like auto collisions, bad falls, impacts during sports, and many other scenarios. When you suffer a neck injury, you can experience muscle pain, pain in the joints of your neck, or even nerve pains that shoot through limbs like your arms. Neck injuries can take many months to fully heal and you will often be required to wear a neck brace or neck support while your body is healing.
Certain diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, meningitis, cancer, and others can also cause a lot of neck pain. With some of these conditions, the neck pain usually clears up when you heal while you can experience long-term pain with chronic conditions like arthritis.
What Chair Features Can Reduce Neck Pain?
There are quite a few different things that might be causing your neck pain. Poor posture, poor monitor positioning, and the physical impact of your work are all leading causes of neck pain.
But if you experience neck pain after sitting in your chair then your chair design might be to blame.
The right type of lounge chair can also help soothe the pain you feel in your neck and can relax your body so these tense muscles will loosen up. If you are looking for a good chair to help you get rid of neck pain then you should find one that offers the following features;
Proper Neck Support
When you get home from work, you should try to rest the muscles in your neck. Chairs with a low back don’t offer any neck support and won’t help relax those muscles even if you do sit comfortably.
This is because your neck muscles still need to do a lot of hard work to keep your head in position while you watch TV. Look for a living room chair with a high back so you can lay back your head and rest those sore muscles.
Consider the Seat Depth
The seat depth is also very important. If your seat is too deep, you will end up slouching in the chair and your neck will be pressed at an odd angle which can result in neck pain. When your seat has the proper depth, your back will be pressed against the chair back and your spine will be aligned.
Consider a Chair with Armrests
Armrests are great for reducing shoulder pain because they support your arms so the tension in your shoulder muscles and tendons will be reduced. Your shoulders are connected to your neck. When the shoulder muscles are no longer under strain, the strain is also reduced in your neck.
A good chair with soft armrests can help you feel more comfortable and can be the solution you need for reducing your neck pain. If you are prone to getting a stiff neck then you should opt for a chair with relatively high armrests.
Consider a Reclining Chair
Researchers found that chairs with a 15-degree tilt reduce the pressure on your spine while you sit down for long periods. Watching TV in a reclined position can reduce the pressure on your spine which can help reduce your neck pain. Recliner chairs are also ideal for napping during the day.
If you take a nap in a normal chair, your neck will start to hang at an odd angle the moment you fall asleep.
With a recliner chair, you can recline the chair and enjoy a comfortable nap without putting extra strain on your neck muscles or spine. The chair will keep your neck in a healthy posture which can reduce the chances of getting a stiff neck.
Find a Chair That Feels Comfy
Lots of people find cozy and puffy chairs that conform to their body shape efficient for neck pain relief. Chairs like bean bag chairs form your body shape so none of your muscles need to be strained for you to feel comfortable. Your full spine and neck are supported, your muscles can rest and tension is reduced which can make sore muscles feel a lot better.
Recliner chairs are also very comfortable to sit in because they can tilt to different degrees. You can tilt until you feel some of the pain and tension in your back reduce and sit for a while until your muscles start to unwind.
Consider a Swivel or Rocking Chair
Babies and kids love swivel and rocking chairs because these rocking motions are so soothing.
Swivel and rocking chairs can help you get rid of tension and stress which can help you loosen up tight muscles.
Rocking or swivel chairs are perfect for people who stress a lot and these types of chairs are also great for people with ADHD that struggle to sit still.
The Best Living Room Chair for Neck Pain Relief to Get Now
Modern living room chairs are much more comfortable than those upright traditional ball and claw sets that were so popular in the 80s. Today, you can find all sorts of gorgeous living room chairs. They come in all shapes and designs and they can have all sorts of features. In this list, we attempt to provide you with a wide range of chair options to choose from so you can find something stylish, unique, and comfortable to sit in. Here is a quick look at some of the best ones to get now.
If you are looking for a statement chair to brighten up your living room then this is the perfect chair to consider. The chair is also very handy for welcoming guests to your office because it has a compact and modern design that is ideal for smaller spaces.
This gorgeous chair is available in various livid colors like teal, chocolate, green, orange, yellow and red.
The chair is upholstered with chenille canvas fabric and it has hardwood feet. It also comes with a small kidney pillow in the same color as the rest of the chair.
It has no armrests which enables you to fit more chairs into a small space.
The chair is perfect for reducing neck pain or muscle pain because it has a very tall back that offers good neck support. When you sit down, the feel is very firm and supportive and the kidney pillow is perfect for reducing fatigue in your lower back.
The chair doesn’t recline or swivel but it is a good statement piece to get if you are limited on space and need something eye-catching. Armrests would have been a nice addition but the rest can also make the chair look and feel a lot bulkier.
- Weight – 24 Pounds
- Dimensions – 31.8 x 22.8 x 36.5 Inches
- Color – Teal, chocolate, green, orange, yellow, letter, script, or red
- Materials – Chenille or canvas Textile with hardwood
- Weight capacity – Unknown
- Back rest height – 17.75 Inches
- Arm rests – None
- Chair type – Armless accent chair
- Leg type – Solid peg style wood
- Pillow – Kidney pillow included
- No armrests that take up excess space
- The bold colors and stylish design are ideal for creating a statement
- The chair is very comfortable to sit on
- The tall back offers plenty of neck support to reduce body pains
- The chair is made from strong materials and has a durable construction
- A small kidney pillow is included for more comfort
- There are many bright colors to choose from
- The chairs are perfect for interior design purposes
- Sitting without armrests is annoying for some
- The weight limit of the chair is unclear
- Some do feel that the seat is too firm
- The seat depth is long which makes it better suited for tall people
Rocker chairs are perfect for soothing babies and children to sleep. It is an ideal chair for any mom-to-be. These chairs are also terrific for sensory seekers or children with sensory problems since the rocking motion can be very therapeutic.
Rocking back and forth is also very soothing for reducing stress and anxiety in adults after a tough day on the job.
This chair by Christopher Knight is an ideal investment if you need something stylish yet soothing to sit in.
The chair is only available in grey upholstery and it has lots of natural walnut components for a very elegant look.
When you sit in this chair, you will feel very cozy thanks to a thick added pillow seat. The back of the chair is also lined with lots of stuffing to offer a soft yet firm feel.
The chair comes with high armrests that are padded so you can rest your arms after a long day and reduce tension in your shoulder and neck tendons.
It is a great chair to use for anyone below 250 pounds and especially for stress and anxiety sufferers who love to rock back and forth to soothe the stress away.
The rocker chair does not recline or swivel but its unique ergonomic design and rocking function and the beautiful look of the chair make it very practical in the living room, in bedrooms, on the porch, or even in offices.
- Weight – 39.2 Pounds
- Dimensions – 25.5 x 32.5 x 34.25 Inches
- Color – Gray with natural light wood
- Materials – Textile and walnut wood
- Weight capacity – 250 Pounds
- Seat depth – 21.5 Inches
- Seat width – 21.25 Inches
- Backrest height – 19 Inches
- Arm rests – High with padding
- Chair type – Rocking chair
- Leg type – Rocker from wood
- Pillow – Seat pillow included
- The chair can rock back and forth
- It has a beautiful design
- The fabric upholstery is soft to the touch
- The 250-pound weight limit is good for a rocking chair
- The backrest is nice and high so you can get the good neck support
- The padded armrests are very comfortable
- The chair height is easy to get in and out of
- The fit is nice and firm for good posture support
- It is very compact and won’t take up much space
- No squeaking while you rock
- The chair does not recline
- The assembly is challenging
- Assembly needs to be completed carefully or the chair will wobble or might break
If you love the look of this chair then you should also take a look at our top 9 most eye-catching ergonomic chairs in our other review.
This chair has a circular design. It comes with a round cushion that fits inside a round frame with a metal base.
The chair is 38 inches wide so you can sit comfortably with your arms stretched out. The circular design of the chair hugs your body and naturally offers good arm support.
This chair is perfect for resting every muscle in your body so you can get rid of tension.
The cushion is removable and secured to the frame with straps so it won’t move around or fall off when you get up.
One of the most outstanding features of this chair is its swivel action. The top part of the chair can swivel all the way around. This swivel feature is fantastic for soothing little ones to sleep or to simply turn around with ease so you can see all of your guests eye to eye.
The chair is also light enough to move with ease and it has a high back so you can lie back comfortably to take a nap or enjoy a movie.
For superior comfort, you might however want to invest in an ottoman since the chair doesn’t have footrests nor does it include a footstool which means you can’t put up your feet to reduce some swelling.
This circular chair looks great and is ideal for comfort but it also isn’t the best seat for upright sitting. When you sit upright, you won’t have any back support from the chair as it is designed for lounging.
- Weight – 29 Pounds
- Dimensions – 38 x 36.5 x 31.5 Inches
- Color – Orange, cream, black, blue, grey, red, camo, green, purple or white cushion with black or white frame
- Materials – Polyester textile with metal frame
- Weight capacity – 200 Pounds
- Seat depth – 35.25 Inches
- Seat width – 40 Inches
- Arm rests – Circular design of the chair offers arm cushioning
- Chair type – Round chair with 360-degree swivel
- Leg type – Solid metal frame
- Pillow – Thick pillow included
- Very stylish-looking chair
- Extremely comfortable to lounge in
- The large frame offers good neck support
- The round frame also offers good arm support
- The cushion is thick, soft, and comfy
- The chair has a 360-degree swivel motion
- It is very light and easy to move around
- Fabric straps keep the cushion in place
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Create a fun vibe in your living room
- The cushion stuffing can go flat over time
- The 200-pound weight limit isn’t excessive
- Not the best chair for sitting upright
- Does not recline
- No footrest
This is one of the best reclining office chairs with a footrest because it looks fantastic with its classic full upholstery and birch wood legs.
It is available in a wide range of colors to choose from and the chair has lots of stuffing so you can sit comfortably.
The living room recliner has a tall back that will offer good neck support when you sit back and relax. It has a large 300-pound bodyweight limit and it can recline almost 160 degrees so you can take a nap.
When you recline the seat, two footrests also kick out. These footrests are terrific for getting your feet into the air so you can reduce some swelling. The chair can recline to different angles so you can either sit more comfortably or take a nap.
The Mervynn recliner is a great pick for living room seating because it is comfortable yet very stylish. It might be a bit large and bulky for offices or small apartments but it is one of the best ergonomic office chairs if you need something that helps you maintain proper posture while you work. The chair is also a bit challenging to move around since it weighs 57.3 pounds.
- Weight – 57.3 Pounds
- Dimensions – 34.25 x 38.7 x 38.7 Inches
- Color – Grey, purple, slate, cream, dark blue, light grey, light blue, muted green, muted orange, yellow, red, muted green, muted yellow, orange, wheat color
- Materials – Polyester textile with birch wood
- Weight capacity – 300 Pounds
- Seat depth – 21.5 Inches
- Seat width – 20 Inches
- Backrest height – 18.5 Inches
- Arm rests – Padded 25 Inch rests
- Chair type – Recliner (about 160 degrees) with dual footrests
- Leg type – Birch wood pegs
- Pillow – None included
- The chair is very beautiful
- It offers firm yet soft seating and the durable fabric is nice and warm to the touch
- Good 300-pound weight capacity
- The seatback is nice and high to support your neck
- You can get the chair in a wide range of beautiful colors
- The chair reclines about 160 degrees
- Two footrests kick out so you can lift your feet for more comfort
- You can use the chair to take naps
- It is a great chair to use In the living room
- The chair is heavy
- Some do find it a bit bulky
- The footrests do not offer much support for tall people
- It does not rock or swivel
This bean bag chair has a circular design and it is available in a wide range of colors. You can get it in a 2-foot or 3-foot size.
The chair offers a fun vibe and it is perfect for lazy lounge days in front of the TV set or while you enjoy a few games on your PlayStation and sit for a long period of time.
This bean bag chair is more durable compared to other bean bag chairs because it has durable foam stuffing. It conforms to your body shape the moment you sit down on the bag and you can adjust your position to alleviate some neck tension and pain.
Bean bag chairs are not usually recommended for seniors or adults with back and knee issues because it can sometimes be challenging to get out of these soft cushion chairs.
But these chairs are ideal for bedrooms, lounges, and living rooms, and at just 22.1 pounds; it is also light enough for you to take along on holiday adventures.
- Weight – 22.1 Pounds
- Dimensions – 36 x 36 x 24 Inches
- Color – Aqua marine, black, camel, charcoal, chocolate, cinnabar, cocoa, lemon, lime, magenta, navy, olive, purple, royal blue, and tangerine
- Materials – Microfiber fabric with foam
- Weight capacity – Unknown
- Arm rests –Round contemporary design offers arm cushioning
- Chair type – Bean bag
- Leg type – None
- Pillow – No lose pillows
- The chair has higher-quality stuffing that will last longer than other types
- It is a very beautiful chair
- Available in many colors
- Very comfortable to sit or relax in
- You can scooch down to relax your neck
- Create a fun vibe in your living room
- Ideal for kids bedrooms
- The materials are soft and warm to the touch for a chill-free, sweat-free sitting
- You can adjust the positioning and sit in different ways
- Not the best chair to sit upright
- Seniors and some adults might find it hard to get in and out of the chair
- No recline or swivel action
- Might be a bit small for tall people
6. The Serta Ashland Home Office Chair- Best Multi-Purpose Livingroom and Office Chair for Neck Pain
And if this chair isn’t an ideal pick then you might just find one on the top 7 best Serta office chairs – Ultimate Review list where we compare other great quality ergonomic office chairs of the Serta brand.
This chair is available in quite a few colors although most of these colors are a bit light. The lighter colors are beautiful but they can be challenging to keep clean, especially if these chairs are used for public seating.
The ergonomic desk chair offers a timeless yet stylish look with its soft fabric and button detail in the chair’s back. The chair is stuffed with memory foam padding and it has a thick base cushion so you can feel very comfortable while sitting.
This office chair has a stainless steel base with casters so you can roll around the office as you please. It also swivels 360 degrees and can recline backward a little bit.
This chair has a weight limit of 250 pounds which is pretty good because the chair has casters.
It is a great-looking chair to have in your home office because you can easily grab it and drag it to the living room to accommodate more guests. This Serta chair is also a perfect pick for office use whether you need something for yourself or something comfortable your guests can sit on.
- Weight – 39 Pounds
- Dimensions – 28.25 x 25.5 x 36.75 Inches
- Color – Light grey, blue, cream, ivory, lilac, pink, and white
- Materials – Twill and bonded leather textile and stainless steel base
- Weight capacity – 250 Pounds
- Arm rests – Memory foam padded armrest
- Chair type – 360 Swivel office chair
- Leg type – Rolling casters
- Pillow – Seat pillow included
- A beautiful office chair
- 360 swivel so you can move with ease
- The rolling casters allow you to move around without getting up
- The chair offers a nice and firm fit
- It is made from durable materials
- Memory foam padding gives a very comfortable feel
- Ideal for small spaces
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Not the best design for living room areas
- A higher backrest would have been nice for neck support
- The cushion can slide off
- Light colors can show dirt easily
- Mind the weight limit or the cushion will quickly flatten
It has ball-and-claw birch wood legs and rounded armrests. This beautiful chair is available in light beige and light grey colors.
The ergonomic recliner is very strong with a weight limit of up to 350 pounds. It is a good chair for reducing back pain because it can recline and it has two small footrests that kick out so you can put up your feet and take a nap. Putting your feet up is great for promoting healthy blood circulation and lots of blood flow to your feet can help reduce swelling.
Lots of thick padding and soft textile upholstery will ensure that you stay comfortable and pain-free even after spending quite a lot of time lounging in this chair. We also love the curved lumbar region that offers extra support to your lower back to reduce some pain.
At 69.45 pounds, this chair is not easy to move around your home. But its beautiful ergonomic design and comfort features make it a perfect addition to your living room.
The living room recliner chair can be a bit bulky for small apartments but many also love to use it in bedrooms or office spaces because the chair’s gorgeous compact design is ideal for creating a luxurious vibe at a reasonable price.
- Weight – 69.45 Pounds
- Dimensions – 34.5 x 28 x 41.25 Inches
- Color – Light beige or light grey
- Materials – Textile with birch wood legs
- Weight capacity – 250 – 350 Pounds
- Arm rests – Padded armrest
- Chair type – Recliner with dual footrests
- Leg type – Solid ball birch wood legs
- Pillow – None
- Very stylish recliner chair
- It reclines so you can sit back comfortably
- Two footrests pop out so you can get your feet into the air
- The chair is made from durable materials
- It has a wide padded seat for added comfort
- The chair back is high so you can rest your neck
- Thickly padded armrest offers good support for your forearms
- The chair is nice and soft
- You can sit for a long time and still feel very comfortable
- The chair is heavy and difficult to move
- The light color is difficult to keep clean
- The footrests might be short for taller people
- The chair is not suitable for heavy people
It is always hard to choose the best living room chair, especially if you have so many different chairs to choose from that all look great. If you have a tough time choosing between these chairs then perhaps this handy guide can help you find the right one.
The Best for Small Spaces
Homes and offices are getting smaller and smaller as property owners try to keep rental rates as low as possible. To adapt to these smaller environments, it is often necessary to invest in furniture pieces that are either multifunctional or very compact.
If you are limited on space then you can consider the Piscano Chair by Roundhill Furniture. This chair is very comfy to sit in because it has a high back and lots of padding.
It also comes with a handy kidney pillow to soothe your back. The chair is ideal for small spaces because it doesn’t have any annoying armrests that can get in your way.
If you have an extremely small apartment, then you can also consider the Serta Ahshland home office chair. This chair might be designed for office use, but it also doubles as a living room chair because it is fully upholstered with armrests and thick memory foam padding so you can sit comfortably while enjoying your favorite shows.
The Christopher Knight Rocker chair can also be a good pick for small living rooms because this chair has a compact ergonomic design, it is very comfortable and its rocking motion is very soothing.
The Best Rocking Chair
If you love to rock back and forth, or if you are trying to soothe a baby to sleep then you should get the Christopher Knight Rocker chair. The rocking chair is also our top pick for kids with sensory problems or for special needs children who need sensory input to calm down. This chair is perfectly suitable for your living room but it can also be a handy addition to the nursery.
The rocker chair has lots of thick and soft padding and a loose cushion at the base enhances your comfort while you are enjoying a long sit.
The Best for Playful Living Rooms
Some people prefer a classic look for living rooms but others love a playful and jolly vibe. If you want to create a living room that looks fun to spend time in then you should consider the OSP Home Furnishings 360 swivel chair.
This chair looks like a lot of fun and it is very comfy to sit in. It also swivels all the way around. It isn’t the best chair for work or for sitting upright but it will instantly bring a smile to your face the moment you lay eyes on this chair.
Alternatively, you can also consider the bean bag chair by Sofa Sack. This plush chair is available in a wide range of fun colors and is very comfortable to sit in. It is a great chair for playrooms, bedrooms, game rooms, or extra seating in your living room.
The Best Recliner Chair
Recliner chairs are ideal for reducing back pain. The Christopher Knight recliner is a superb chair if you need something that offers classic charm and lots of comfort.
This chair reclines up to 160 degrees and it has a tall back that offers good neck support. With a 300-pound weight capacity, it is also ideal for bigger and taller people.
Alternatively, you should consider the GDF Studio Elizabeth recliner. This recliner can handle a weight of up to 350 pounds and it has a wider design with a higher back.
The chair is a bit more expensive but it does have a very beautiful overall look. It can recline, it has lots of thick padding, the armrests are nice and wide and two small footrests will also kick out so you can sit back and relax.
The Best for Large People
Tall people often have a tougher time with their necks than people of average length because it is a lot harder to find a comfortable seat when you are bigger. If you are tall or heavy then you should consider a chair with a high back and a bigger weight capacity.
The Christopher Knight Mervyn chair is a good option since it has a weight limit of 350 pounds and it does have a very high back.
The bean bag chair on our list by Sofa Sack is also a good option to consider since these chairs do not come with a weight restriction but you might need to refill the bag with new stuffing since foam stuffing can suppress over time.
We do hope that this guide helped you find a fine quality living room chair so you can sit back, relax and give those neck muscles a good rest. We are quite sure that any one of these chairs will look fantastic in your home and these chairs are all very comfortable and are not very likely to cause neck strain or pain.
And if you are looking for other great chairs like the best gaming chairs under $100, the best lounge chairs, the best massage chairs, or other great quality seating solutions then you should hop over to some of our other guides where we compare other superior quality chairs that you can get for your home or office right now.